Thursday, February 13, 2014

Don't Act Like It's a Bad Thing to Fall in Love

I have recently come to a very important conclusion:

I like the concept and idea of Valentine's Day, having someone you love so much that you get to have a whole entire extra day to share with the world…

…But I hate the actual day.

Am I being hypocritical? Biased? Harsh?

Yes, yes, and YES.

Because I don't care what anybody says, those of us who are strong advocates and celebrators of Single Awareness Day are all secretly beyond jealous of those who actually have significant others.


Why?

While giant teddy bears, bouquets of red roses, heart shaped chocolates, and gooey lovey-dovey stuff is actually indeed quite revolting, it's the thought and gesture behind all of these ridiculous V-Day signature items that counts:

Somebody cares about you.

And isn't that what we all want, on some level or another? Perhaps not to be loved quite yet, but to be on someone's mind, to be thought of, to have someone go out of their way to make you smile? To spend their one hour break between classes chatting with you about stupid things, when they should be cramming for a midterm, because that's how much they want to talk to you?

You gotta be willing to take the risk, to jump off the deep end and throw yourself out there in the hopes that you find someone who likes what you have to offer and who you are as a person. It's as simple as that.  If you're too afraid to jump, you'll never know who's out there!


I've already talked about how much I love my man JT, but Mr. Timberlake's lyrics never fail to manifest the jumbled thoughts I often have floating around in my head.  For all you fellow hopeless romantics out there, ready to celebrate Single's Awareness Day with a good rom-com and a bottle of wine, let Justin sing you a song or two first:

"Not A Bad Thing" (The 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RLs2KB4Gco

This song is fantastic.  It's the closing track on JT's second disc of the 20/20 album, and the lyrics exemplify everything a girl longs for a guy to say to her.  The first line of the song is simple and sweet:
"All I want from you is to see you tomorrow."
When we first become interested in someone, we experience the feeling of being unexplainably drawn to them; the best kind of attraction, because you can't explain what it is, you just know you need to be around them.

The hook of the song is what, personally, gets me every time:
"I know people make promises all the time, and then they turn right around and break them.
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, and you're bleeding;
But I could be that guy to heal it over time, and I won't stop until you believe it, because baby you're worth it."


THOSE, ladies and gents, are words of genuine care, compassion, and commitment.  When you start to feel yourself caring about somebody on a deeper level, you will do everything in your power to show them, especially simple and honest gestures.

IMPORTANT:
We all have scars, wounds, bruises.  We're young, and essentially we know nothing about relationships because we haven't been involved in that many, if any at all at this age! I think people my age forget that concept sometimes, that everyone is in the same boat: we are all vulnerable and inexperienced together, so you shouldn't be afraid to put yourself out in the open, because chances are you'll find another vulnerable soul who suits you just fine.

Justin ends the chorus by singing, "Spend all your time and your money just to find out that my love was free, so don't act like it's a bad thing to fall in love with me."

Truer words might not be spoken. You only get what you give; if you don't open yourself up to things right in front of you, you'll miss out on amazing, wonderful things. Bottom line.

It's easy, perhaps, to listen to the lyrics of this song and scoff at their admittedly cliche wording.  How many times have we heard the "I won't break your heart," "you're in my arms," and the "I promise" in our own lives, let alone within a song? Tooooo many, that's how many.

Yet I feel an undeniable sense of security and sincere honesty when Justin sings lyrics along the same lines as these cliches.  Perhaps it's the song; perhaps I'm biased; perhaps it's just me.  It's probably just me.  He's a beautiful, successful, and intelligent man, and he gives me hope for the rest of his fellow male species.

I think that's just it: Justin's music gives me hope.  It energizes and fills my soul to give me hope and make me have faith.

So, thank you Justin.  Once again, you rock my socks.

Tell Jessica I'm sorry, but you're my Valentine this year.  She gets to have you to herself the other 364 days, it's my turn.




Happy almost V-Day/Single's Awareness Day!



Cheers,

<3 Syd






No comments:

Post a Comment