Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Artist: Terraplane Sun

Helloooo everybody!

My apologies for not posting for a whole eight days (gasp!!!), this week I found myself unexpectedly -- but wonderfully -- BUSY! Hope everyone had a fun week, and more importantly a fun weekend!

This past Friday, I got to explore the highly interesting place that is Venice Beach for the first time! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can definitely say that Venice, also (apparently) known as the weed capital of California, definitely has everything: bongs, sunglasses, self-proclaimed "green doctors," street performers, homeless people, talented artists, muscle men, food galore, and people from literally every culture and country imaginable.  I must have heard 8 different accents and/or languages while I was there, so cool! Not to mention, I got to witness the filming of a surfing movie called Ride, starring Luke Wilson and Helen Hunt! (Yes, of course I had to have the classic 15 minutes of being starstruck.  No, unfortunately I did not get a picture with Luke. :( )

Anyway, being in Venice on Friday reminded me of a band I saw perform at a brewery this past January in San Luis Obispo, where I go to school.  The band, Terraplane Sun, opened for Shwayze during his tour along the California coast this year, and I had the unbelievable privilege to actually meet and talk with the guitarist and lead singer! Terraplane Sun originated from Venice Beach, and in my opinion, their unique and mellow sound perfectly reflects the relaxed, beachy vibe, the "California Cool," that exudes out of Southern California.

One of TS's catchiest tracks, "Get Me Golden," particularly captures the vision of taking a stroll down the boardwalk wearing hipster shades and basking in the California sunshine; it's a happy-go-lucky sort of song that puts the listener's mind at ease and creates a carefree attitude.  Frontman Ben Rothbard radiates hipster-cool, and his unique vocals are something you won't forget easily!

Terraplane Sun has become one of my favorite bands, and they are especially fun to listen to right now during summertime, or any time you're yearnin' for some Cali sunshine and the big blue Pacific.  I hope you check them out and enjoy what you find!

Get Me Golden: Demo Version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv23cxus3Hs
                            New Version/Official Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnbfqx1ZWo

Terraplane Sun: https://www.facebook.com/terraplanesun




Happy Sunday!

<3 Syd


No comments:

Post a Comment